Lossiemouth is a friendly club and course for the people of the town. It was laid out in 1889 by Old Tom Morris, and new holes were added by Henry Colton in 1970. The modern tee box, with elevated legs, is thought to have been introduced first at Lossiemouth. The relief 9-hole course has now been extended to 18 holes, and is called New Moray. It is partly enclosed by the original Old Moray. The old clubhouse has been modernized, and contains some fine old golfing pictures. There is also a 6-hole “Baby Course”. The New Moray Course is 6258 yards, par 71. Both courses are laid out on natural links land, which delighted Tom Morris when he first saw it. There is a fine beach, and the courses nestle behind the dunes. The Old Course changes direction frequently, and the greens are flat and fair. The start and finish of the Old course must have the best setting of any in Scotland. The 17th green is the site of a famous incident, since Asquith was attacked here while on holiday, by militant suffragettes. RAF jets fly over from the nearby Lossiemouth RAF base.