East Lothian golf along the coast from Gullane to North Berwick dates back at least to the 1650s when the weavers of Aberlady would compete against the weavers of Dirleton across the linksland.
In 1882, the Gullane Golf Club was founded and shares the land with two other clubs – the East Lothian Golf Club formed in 1859 and the older Dirleton Castle Golf Club founded in 1854.
In the early days of the Club the golfers had to compete with the other passion of the time, racehorse training, across their playing fields, which could be dangerous. In 1892 Lord Law prohibited any racehorse training on Gullane Hill and the club subsequently flourished.
Gullane golf consists of three courses – No.1, No.2 and No.3. Gullane No. 1 plays up and over Gullane Hill and is the highest rated of the three courses. First established in 1884, it is not attributed to any golf architect, but rather the greatest golf designer of all time – Mother Nature. It has been the host venue to the Scottish Open and Open Qualifying. Edoardo Molinari said, “I believe it to be the best links golf course that is not on the Open Championship rota.”
Gullane No.2 is credited to Willie Park, Jr. in 1898, also plays over Gullane Hill and is rated just behind the No.1 course. It has hosted the Senior Amateur and Open Qualifying.
The shorter of the group, Gullane No.3, on flatter land is no pushover and values accurate shot making over brute power.
Not to miss when visiting Gullane Golf Club is the Heritage of Golf Museum, open by appointment. Founded by the late Archie Baird, who was married to Willie Park, Sr.’s great-granddaughter, it features artifacts and exhibits from the earliest days of “Kolf” in 15th century Holland to the present day.
The views from the summit of Gullane Hill have been called the most scenic in the world of golf, along with Pebble Beach, as the panoramic 360-degree view looks down on the neighboring fairways of Muirfield and across the Firth of Forth to Fife.
When playing golf at Gullane both members and visitors may enjoy the Clubhouse, newly renovated in 2021. Playing golf or not the Old Clubhouse used from 1889-1927, across the street from the Club’s is a very popular local pub and restaurant and a welcome addition to any visit.