10 Reasons To Play Bandon Dunes Resort
If you want a true sense of what golf is like in Scotland and Ireland, you can do that at Bandon Dunes Resort on Oregon’s southern coast. More than any other resort in the U.S., Bandon Dunes replicates the British Isles links golf experience to perfection.
Here are 10 reasons why you absolutely must play Bandon Dunes Resort:
1. Stunning Setting-The resort is situated on a jaw-dropping stretch of sand dunes perched 100 feet above the Pacific Ocean. There is 2.3 miles of undisturbed shoreline and rugged, wind-swept land dominated by massive dunes, coastal forest and open meadows.
2. Magnificent Golf-Presenting some of the most exciting and engaging golf in the U.S., Bandon Dunes has five 18-hole links courses that take full advantage of the amazing terrain and the Pacific Ocean. The line-up includes Bandon Dunes (David McLay Kidd), Pacific Dunes (Tom Doak), Bandon Trails (Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw), Old Macdonald (Tom Doak and Jim Urbina) and Sheep Ranch (Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw). You’ll experience fantastic panoramas and a wide array of shot angles.
3. Bandon Preserve, Punchbowl and Shorty’s-Enhancing the overall golf experience at Bandon Dunes are its exceptional offerings beyond the 18-hole golf courses. The choices include Bandon Preserve, a 13-hole, par-3 layout with awesome Pacific Ocean panoramas designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw; Shorty’s, a complimentary 9-hole, par-3 course designed by David McLay Kidd; and the Punchbowl, a 100,000-square-foot, 18-hole putting course patterned after the Himalayas in St. Andrews.
4. Great Practice Area-This isn’t your ordinary practice area. You can workout in all phases of the game at this expansive 50-acre complex with two full practice ranges, a one-acre practice green and two short game practice areas for chip, pitch, bunker and bump and run shots.
5. Fab Food–Bandon Dunes has some of the best after-golf comfort food on the planet. A few of the don’t miss favorites are the onion rings (with extra crispy beer batter), Grandma’s Meatloaf (topped with gravy and crispy onions), chicken noodle soup (loaded with fresh vegetables, tender chicken and wide noodles) and the soft doughnuts with carmel dipping sauce. The diverse dining options include the Gallery Restaurant, which specializes in Pacific Northwest Cuisine with a world-class wine list; McKee’s Pub, a Scottish-style setting with pub style fare, microbrews and classic single malt scotches; Tufted Puffin Lounge, which serves a full menu and drinks; and Trails End at the Bandon Trails Clubhouse, where casual dining with a spectacular view of the 18th green is the draw.
6. Comfortable Lodging-With superbly appointed rooms and suites in spectacular settings, guests relish the sense of seclusion. The lodging menu features five different possibilities offering guests a wide variety of options. Selections include single accommodations and suites in The Lodge, single and double occupancy rooms in the Inn and spacious, four-bedroom Grove Cottages, where you can really stretch out after a long day of golf.
7. Bunker Bar-Set underground in the Lodge, this comfortable enclave evokes the treasured ambiance of a luxury man cave. It’s a terrific place to watch sports, shoot pool, play cards, sip single malt scotch, drink beer and smoke cigars (it has a fabulous ventilation system). So, when you’re there, settle into one of the plush leather bar seats at the bar and make a toast to your awesome surroundings.
8. Fitness Center-Located on the Bunker level of the Lodge, the fitness center facility has a sauna and whirlpool to soothe those aches and pains from playing lots of golf and it’s an excellent place to relax after a round. To stay in shape, the facility has free weights, universal weight machines, cardio machines and mats for stretching.
9. Superb Hiking and Walking Trails-Unbeknownst to many, Bandon Dunes is a fabulous place to hike and walk. There are more than six miles of hiking trails that wind through rolling terrain, native foliage and gorse with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and scenic golf holes.
10. Great Fishing-For those who like to enhance their golf vacation with some great fishing, Bandon Dunes Resort is ideally located. Southern Oregon is a virtual Mother Lode for anglers. The Sixes and Elk Rivers have healthy steelhead and salmon populations. For deep sea fishing enthusiasts, charters are available at Bandon or Coos Bay.